Session 1: ‘Introduction to Dyslexia’
Date: 13th April 2021: 7p.m.-8p.m.
1. Recognise dyslexia and the terminology used around it.
2. Identify some of the key characteristics and indicators of dyslexia and the difficulties pupils face in their day to day lives in school.
3. Facilitate teachers to plan for and support pupils with literacy difficulties on the continuum of support model and communicating concerns to SEN and parents.
4. Gain a brief over-view of the assessment process and the criteria for the Irish exemption.
5. Identify appropriate programs and interventions to support pupils with Dyslexia.
Session 2: ‘Creating a Dyslexia Friendly Classroom at Primary Level’.
Date: 20th April 2021 7p.m.-8p.m.
1. Explore the importance of developing a more inclusive dyslexia-friendly practice and ways to create a more dyslexia-friendly classroom.
2. Support teachers to create and select appropriate strategies to support children with dyslexia e.g. developing phonological and phonemic awareness, phonics, spelling and vocabulary instruction. Teachers will be provided with lots of tips, practical strategies and resources that they can bring back to their classrooms.
3. Devise effective strategies to incorporate team-teaching practices in school to support children with dyslexia.
4. Identify ways promote ICT to support children with dyslexia in school.
5. Facilitate teachers to reflect on their approach to teaching and learning in order to create a more dyslexia friendly classroom.
Session 3: ‘Using evidence -based strategies to promote oral reading fluency instruction in the classroom’
Date: 27th April 2021 7p.m.-8p.m.
1. Identify the components of reading fluency and its importance as part of a balanced literacy framework.
2. Select effective strategies to improve reading fluency for children with dyslexia e.g. choral reading, paired reading, repeated reading and readers theatre. These strategies will essentially benefit all pupils in the classroom.
3. Explore how to incorporate readers theatre as an effective classroom instructional practice to promote oral reading fluency among children with dyslexia.
4.Support teachers in assessing oral reading fluency and provide appropriate examples of resources they can use.
5.Identify key resources to promote reading fluency e.g. books, websites and apps, games.
|Course Start Date / Time||13-04-2021 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date / Time||27-04-2021|
Athlone Education Centre
EIRCODE: N37 HO43
TEL: +353 90 6420400